+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Superlight exhaust vs. 888 exhaust

Default Superlight exhaust vs. 888 exhaust

I just aquired SL brackets with the SL exhausts. The last part numbers on the SL cans are 030 while the 888 says 033. Both numbers are followed by an A1 or something to the like. I'm at work now so I can't look at them. I have a 92 851 Strada. I assume there is a difference between the two. Does anyone know what that difference is? I'm going to fit up the SL exhausts to my 851 and if they do fit OK, then I'll leave them on unless I am advised that this could cause some problems with engine performance. Stock chip is in the 851.
    Mark

I have SL cans on my 888 engined 1989 851 with no problems , but I imagine it really needs re chipping as it originally had straight through cans fitted , it runs fine though so I've not bothered .

The only thing I did do was cut and shut the pipes to match the line of the early seat unit better .

Maybe with the 92 body style, they'll line up better.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul851 View Post
    I have SL cans on my 888 engined 1989 851 with no problems , but I imagine it really needs re chipping as it originally had straight through cans fitted , it runs fine though so I've not bothered .

The only thing I did do was cut and shut the pipes to match the line of the early seat unit better .
    Paul,
    That bike looks fine, the line of the pipes looks spot on now.
    Upping the capacity to 888 with the later engine (which has bigger valves)and then changing the cans??
    It really should have the fueling sorted out, I'm sure that you'd notice the difference if you got this done...
    If it were mine I'd open out the cans to 50mm to let the old girl really breath before getting her set up though, I doubt that you'd find an 'off the shelf' chip to suit your set up.

Steve R
    Last edited by Mr.R; 08-19-2009 at 03:01 PM.

She looks really good Paul. I can see my M1Rs getting retired.

Are the Superlight exhaust 100mm or 110mm in diameter. I find that bike's with the 110mm ones fitted just don't look right, just a bit chubby.

I believe you are right but I am at work so I can't go measure them. I noticed that they seemed a little bigger in diameter. One thing for sure, the outlet nozzle is huge. Well over 50mm. It doesn't look right to me. The line they take on the bike is OK though. I'm eyeing an 888 set now and waiting for the diameter measurement from the seller. You've let me know that 100mm is stock for the 888. Maybe someone will want a set of SL cans with the Cagiva elephant logo next to the Ducati name. Thanks.
    Last edited by apr250rs; 08-20-2009 at 07:54 AM. Reason: spelling error

Default The SL exhausts

Here is a picture of the exhausts I have. Obviously not my 851.

They are indeed 110mm in diameter vs. the Termi low pipes I have now that are 100mm. I prefer the high pipes as I will never carry a passenger and the Termi's are the Ferracci ones with the huge billboard riveted to the side. See attached picture (again not my 851 but same cans). I'm going to pursue the 888 cans.
    Mark
    Last edited by apr250rs; 08-20-2009 at 11:40 AM.

My cans are 100mm diameter and are stamped ZDM A04 and ZDM B04 with the Cagiva elephant , The outlet diameter is 57mm and are from my old Superlight as I had Termi's fitted . They ended up on the 851 after the carbon cans that originally came with the bike gave up the ghost .

+ Reply to Thread