X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inchoate
    • Oct 2021

New to me '91 SP3

SP3right.jpg

This '91 SP3 arrived yesterday. I've wanted one ever since seeing a new one in a showroom many years ago.

It came from far away but I was able to have a friend look it over before I bought it, so I know that it runs. It arrived with it's battery totally flat so I'll pull the fairings and give it the once over before I try to start it. It supposedly has a Ferracci 955 kit on it but I don't really know how to confirm that.

It's definitely not my first Ducati but it is my first SP. Anything particular I should look out for?
  • jakepeewee
    • Nov 2007

Nice bike, congrats!
    I've also got an SP3.
    You could check the fork seals, the Ohlins leak easily (never happened to me though)
    Check the connector on the yellow wires between alternator and VR, they are not really up to their task (melting, VR failure)
    Check the front rotors. The center part is known to wear over time (km's), resulting in a lot of play at the bobbins (if that's what they are called)
    For my I bought an upgraded set of centers, just to find out that the actual brake disc reached the service limit (which is 4.5mm). Since these are cast iron this can be tricky. Just to be sure check the thickness of the discs.

Have lots of fun with the bike (nice rear sets!)

Jacco

Comment

• inchoate
      • Oct 2021

Looking over the charging system is definitely on the list.

I'm considering getting in touch with ohlins and getting the forks and shock serviced. I can't imagine 30 year old fork oil is up to spec.

Interesting about the brake discs. Very simple to check them over.

The bike reads 40,000km, so it's definitely been ridden.

Comment

• inchoate
        • Oct 2021

I finally got the documents, such as they are, from the seller.

It would seem that the bike got separated from it's paperwork, so I don't have a whole lot to go on as far as provenance goes. I've got a bike with a euro VIN and KM speedometer in the US. It's got tons of period Ferracci stuff on it but the title I got was dated 2019. Is there any way to access the factory records? I'd really like to reattach this bike to it's story.

Comment

• griff851
          • Jun 2007

Factory records are virtually non existent. There are posts buried on the forum after people have contacted the museum curator. There was a event, I forget if it was a fire or a big clean out, the end result is they are gone.
          Griff
          To infinity and.......

Comment

• inchoate
            • Oct 2021

That's what I figure, it was a very different company back in the 80s.

As much as I'd like to know the story I'm also happy just to enjoy the bike as it is.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎