+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SP4 Rebuild

Default SP4 Rebuild

So the time has come to start the process.
    Here are some before and afters as things progress...

Throttle bodies.
    Brackets, actuators, screws and injector retainers replated zinc and yellow passivated, fuel connectors vapour blasted and clear anodised, black cap head screws & spring washers zinc and black passivated.

Throttle bodies bored to match inlet trumpets.

Just got to set the TPS and balance them...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by tubbylad; 01-07-2021 at 08:18 AM.

Very nice job youve done - you must be well pleased

My SP2 TBs could do with the same attention. Did you outsource the plating or do it yourself?

Rear Swing arm was dipped to remove original anodising.

Case of slow and steady with coarse (red) scothbrite along the the length of the arms followed by medium/fine (green) scotchbrite to get the desired finish and remove scars.

Final anodised finish lacks the 'sparkle' of the original as the chemicals used to achieve that back in the day are banned according to my anodiser.

Screws and plates vapour blasted and plated with zinc & yellow passivate.
    Axle nuts are machined to include a flange for better clamping.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by tubbylad; 01-07-2021 at 11:23 AM.

Forks and rear shock were stripped and rebuilt by K Tech Suspension.

Whilst apart the corroded and scratched fork tubes with lots of areas having the gold worn away were re anodised.
    According to my plater the high zinc content of original alloy means rapid corrosion of the zinc will always be a risk once the anodising is damaged.
    They were dipped to remove all original anodising and I set about removing the corrosion and scratches with 240 / 400 / 600 wet and dry then finishing with red and green scotchbrite.

Not having a lathe required some creativity to create the spinning of the tubes so I could consistently sand them.
    It was a two person job.
    I took a large socket, wrapped in masking tape so it was a little oversize and could be screwed into the threaded end of the fork tube with out stretching it.
    The bottom of the fork tube was placed upon the top of a plastic vinegar bottle screwed to a wooden base on the floor to act as a steady.
    Whilst vertical, with a little downward pressure this was then spun by my better half with a hand drill using a 3/8" drive in the socket whilst I wrapped my hand a round the tube and slid up an down the tube with various grades of abrasive.

It took two attempts to achieve satisfactory anodised finish as I was not heavy enough cleaning them up in the first place. Any faint hint of corrosion must be removed or anodising wont grow on it. A repeat of the above process ended up with them looking pretty close to factory finish, I'd suggest a hint darker than original. I then added a layer of acryclic laquer from a rattle can for a little more protection.

Just have to add some NOS Ohlins decals to the fork legs

The rear shock body was stripped and replated with zinc and yellow passivate.
    Remote preload adjuster was a bargain courtesy of a blown BMW shock off ebay. I ended up going with a shorter spring (170mm) so I could keep the original bottom spring seat.
    Original spring can be used with a different lower spring seat (an Ohlins part from the BMW shock) however this seat just touched the horizontal brace (at the front of the swing arm) closest to the engine.
    Remote resevoir hose was courtesy of Pirtek (made up at one of their depots) however I had to machine the fittings first to match original collar length then zinc/yellow finish plated them.
    Hose for remote resevoir was courtesy of Pirtek (made up at one of their depots) however I had to machine the fittings first to match original collar length then zinc/yellow finish plated them.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by tubbylad; 01-08-2021 at 07:10 AM.

Brakes were stripped, vapour blasted and rebuilt with new seals / bolts.

Brackets and mounting bolts/washers/springs replated zinc and yellow passivate.

Appears the rear brake was replaced according to the date stamp.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by tubbylad; 01-07-2021 at 10:54 AM.

Rear and clutch master cylinders were stripped, cerakoted and rebuilt using new Brembo seals kits.

The bike had a later gold front PS16 master cylinder fitted which I tried to disassemble however tore the rubber diaphragm doing so.

As these parts aren't available any more I resorted to buying a new PS16 then stripping carefully to be cerakoted to match the clutch.

A couple little turned cups/spigots helped ensure boot, circlip and piston assemblies were pressed to depth and ended up being properly seated in retaining grooves.
    Both are assembled blind down a bore however the return spring has to be compressed and the boots held in such a way as not to tear.. It was a case of building up the assemblies on these cups / spigots and pressing the brake cylinder bodies onto them to ensure proper assembly.

Rear was much easier needing no additional tooling to be made up.

New resevoirs, pipes and clips finished them off courtesy of DucatiPaddy.

I am missing the original alloy bracket for the brake master cyliinder resevior if any one has one laying around they don't need.
    Attached Images

I do love a bit of Cerakote...

Various ancilliary parts suitably treated and coated accordingly.
    Cerakote is so durable and thin you lose barley any detail which is why I prefer it to powder coating.
    Attached Images

Engine valve openers and closers did show signs of wear so were replaced/polished/de chromed accordingly by myself and treated to Diamond Like Coating courtesy of Wallwork Metal Treatment Cambridge as were two new gudgeon pins.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by tubbylad; 01-08-2021 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJV View Post
    Very nice job you’ve done - you must be well pleased

My SP2 TB’s could do with the same attention. Did you outsource the plating or do it yourself?
    Thanks, it was Chris Bridglands build that inspired me.
    It was a mix of a home plating with a kit from classic plating (and a regulated power supply off ebay) and my local platers Daventry Metal Finishers that did anodising, black passivate and treatments for stainless/titanium fasteners.

I also used Hi Spec Coatings for Cerakoted stuff - Wesley there was recommended by Chris.

Media blasting was courtesy of my neighbour Chris at Northants Vapour Blasting

Default Nice work there

Did the sp4 come w red injectors ??

This set is NOS, thought it was from earlier sp version or even kit
    Attached Images
    Last edited by stiglarsenDK; 01-07-2021 at 03:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread