+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: 92 851 Strada Refurb

Default 92 851 Strada Refurb

Hi Team, about ten years ago I took my 851 apart in a mates shed/workshop. I had just finished building/restoring my 900 supersport bitsa. Easy, I thought. I'll have this back together in no time!
    A house refurb, three kids and life etc etc got in the way! About 2/3 of the bike has remained in my mates shed all this time, I never even went to look at it!
    Today I got all the parts under one roof in my garage/workshop. Looking at the parts, I've no idea why I took it apart.
    When I rebuilt my 900 bitsa, I had no idea what I was doing, hence now that is in worse shape than my 851.
    My plan is to give all the 851 parts a good clean, replace the wheel and head stock bearings, refurb the calipers and service/tidy up the engine and put it back together.
    I'll keep you posted.
    Attached Images

Seems like an easy project compared to usual, don't get carried away just put it back together and ride it

Good luck with it , theres enough knowledge on here to help, and it will be more than worth it 👍

I've cleaned everything, rebuilt the brakes and prepped a bunch of stuff to paint here at my home. Here are two very boring photos of my fastener library.
    To my surprise, when I picked the bike up after so many years of abandonment, i found I had listed all the fasteners on the envelopes I put them in. So, a whole lot of photos like these is an attempt to record what they look like and where they go!
    The company I am intending to use has gold listed as one of its finishes. Is this correct for a 90's Ducati?
    Attached Images

Spent some time preparing the manky fasteners ready for re-plating
    Attached Images

Gold Zinc plating has a longer life than bright. And yes gold is the go for period correct. Just make sure they donít lay it on too thick. Screws are made undersized to allow for coating, but one industry place I went to laid the zinc on way to thick.
    Griff
    To infinity and.......

If you can cite a standard/specification that will make it easier for the electroplater. Down under the standard is AS 1789 Electroplated Zinc - there will be a BS or EN equivalent that this will have been based on. The description you want to supply is AS 1789: Fe/Zn 25cC which decodes to Zn plated gold chrome passivated to 25 microns thick. As Griff says the gold passivation is best and a thickness needs to be specified.
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (1.04 MB, 18 views)

Brilliant, thank you

Minor progress
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Claire4dukes View Post
    If you can cite a standard/specification that will make it easier for the electroplater. Down under the standard is AS 1789 Electroplated Zinc - there will be a BS or EN equivalent that this will have been based on. The description you want to supply is AS 1789: Fe/Zn 25cC which decodes to Zn plated gold chrome passivated to 25 microns thick. As Griff says the gold passivation is best and a thickness needs to be specified.
    Incredible, I love the detail.
    That's what I'll be doing with mine when I get it back, then.

+ Reply to Thread